Our View: Keeping it green

Kent Stater editors

Campus construction may be causing some angst among students who have to take different routes to class in order to get around the closed-off sidewalks. Although it is an annoyance, Kent State has made a commitment to make the renovated buildings on campus sustainable and we think that it is worth the extra few minutes it takes to get around.

The goal is for all new buildings and renovations to receive Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) silver, LEED gold or better.

The certification comes from the U.S. Green Building Council, and according to its website, LEED certified buildings “save money and resources and have a positive impact on the health of occupants, while promoting renewable, clean energy.”

We commend the university for making such a forward-thinking commitment.

And although the endless construction projects across campus are unattractive, we hope that at the end of the day, the renovations and projects improve the look and feel of campus in addition to the sustainability.

A fresh look can attract more students to the university as well as improve the experience of the students who are already here. 

Students will begin to see changes as soon as after winter break. The renovations to Tri-Towers, Van Deusen and Olson Hall will be completed by then, and the new aeronautics building will also be completed.

With the close of these projects, the new feel of campus will begin to emerge, and we are looking forward to seeing a fresh look as we walk to class.