Sororities welcome largest number of new members at Bid Day

The Kent Stater members of Alpha Xi get the crowd pumped up Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014, at Kent State’s sorority recruitment.

Gabrielle Martinez

Seven sorority chapters joined together on the Student Green to welcome their new sisters at Bid Day on Sunday.

“We had over 498 women receive bids here today,” said Meredith Bielaska, assistant director for Greek affairs. “This was our highest attendance rate yet.”  

The Kent State Greek community now totals to more than 2,000 men and women, Bielaska said.

At Bid Day, hundreds of women stood outside of the Student Green near Risman Plaza waiting. Having accepted their bids earlier that morning, new members eagerly waited to finally join the Greek community and their fellow sisters.

“I am most excited for the new girls to find their home, become friends with everybody in the chapter and to experience all of the memories that I have,” said Sorority Recruitment Counselor Elayna Brizendine.

The current members of the sisterhoods surrounded the Student Green platform, wearing their blocks, waving their banners and holding their letters high. Unknowing of the new members’ acceptance, active members were overjoyed as new members rushed to their new homes.

Anna Lood, the vice president of Recruitment and Retention for the Panhellenic Council, emceed the event while Sorority Recruitment Counselors (SRC) led the new members onto the Student Green platform. Holding hands, the new members waited anxiously for Lood to release them to their new homes and embrace their sisterhood.

Tess Edwards, a sophomore fashion merchandising major, said, “I accepted a bid from Alpha Xi Delta because it is my home away from home.”

New members weren’t the only ones running home on Bid Day. Throughout recruitment, SRCs disaffiliated from their chapters were reunited with their sisters, revealing their blocks at the end of the ceremony.

After the event, active and new members celebrated at their respective homes.

“Each of the chapters have their own celebration back at their chapter houses and celebrate with food and music,” Bielaska said.

Contact Gabrielle Martinez at [email protected].