Opinion: To Greek, or not to Greek?

Skyler Chill

So you made it to Kent State, you survived your first days of class, and you met many new faces. Now what? The only thing left to do is find something to get involved with. Being on a campus with so much to do, one may find it hard to narrow it down to just one club. When considering all your options, why not try Greek life? 

Despite the stigma of being crazy party animals, college rejects and un-athletic noobs, the Greek Community actually does more than you may think.  With seven sororities, (Alpha Phi, Alpha Xi Delta, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Delta Zeta, Phi Mu, and Sigma Sigma Sigma) and 24 fraternities here on campus, Greek life opens a door to new people, places and many life-changing opportunities. Being a member of Delta Gamma has taught me how to work within a group in philanthropic events, time management, academic excellence and how to get involved with volunteer work. Not only does Delta Gamma raise money for their philanthropy (Service for Sight), but ALL sororities and fraternities have a cause that they host events for in order to raise as much as possible. For example, Delta Zeta holds the Lip Sync performance at which each group in the Greek community makes up a dance and lip-syncs to a song all while incorporating sign language to support the hearing impaired. Lambda Chi hosted its Pumpkin Bash, which included pumpkin carving, gourd bobbing and other fun fall festivities. All proceeds went toward the North American Food Drive Foundation. In addition to raising money for causes, we Greeks must uphold a required GPA to stay in our chapter, and meet a required number of service hours to stay in good standing.

A great way to make new friends is to go Greek. Once in a chapter, prepare for many themed date parties, socials, formals, sisterhoods and other bonding experiences with your new brothers or sisters. No matter what chapter you are from or choose, the Kent State Greek Community encourages you to go Greek, or at least get your hands into something. Getting involved on campus is huge, and why not do it for a good cause? Going Greek was the best decision of my life. Recruitment was a blast, and I encourage you to try it, even if you have doubts. You can always change your mind and it’s not too late to sign up! All you have to do is visit https://kent.mycampusdirector.com/register/ to sign up, and begin your journey into the Greek community. I hope you get involved this school year, in regards to whatever you may choose to do. 

Skyler Chill is a sophomore organizational communication major and a columnist for The Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].