Take advantage of the Recreation Center this semester

Caitlin Siegfried

Tuition pays for a lot of things on campus: room and board, classes, and even access to the Kent State Student Recreation and Wellness Center. Students taking more than five credit hours have full access to the Rec Center and all of its amenities.

There are many reasons to go to the Rec center, whether it’s personal fitness or to blow off a little steam.

“The reasons I go to our Rec is because it’s clean, it’s organized and there is always workers there to help you,” said Taylor Laston, a junior psychology major. “There’s always machines and equipment to use and it’s easy and clean.”

Activity level cameras enable students to check how busy the Rec is or to see if their favorite machines are in use. To avoid the crowds the best times to go are in the early morning from opening to around 10:00 a.m., or in the evening from 7:00 p.m. to closing. Be courteous, respect other patrons, both the students and residents of the city of Kent that use this facility, and don’t hog the equipment. High-demand machines like the treadmill and elliptical do have an hour time limit so plan your work-out accordingly and always remember to clean your machine when you’re done.

Some students might find it hard to get the motivation to go to the gym while others are determined not to let the “freshman 15” catch up to them.

“Myself, that’s what motivates me: wanting to get better for myself. If you want to get healthy and get fit you have to want to do it for yourself not for anyone else and you also have to find the right workout that entertains you,” Laston said. “Each person has to find what makes them happy at the gym and what makes them want to come back day after day.”

Create a routine so that going to the gym seems less of a chore. Partner with a friend and become work out buddies; find someone who will push you to go on the days you don’t want to and vice versa. A killer playlist is another essential for the gym. Download apps like Spotify and Pandora to your phone for millions of music choices. Also, remember to mix up routine by trying new things like signing up for a spinning class or even take a try at the climbing wall.

Yep, a climbing wall. Sitting at the end of the basketball courts sits the rock wall, a feature that sets the Rec apart from other gyms. Here, students inexperienced and experienced are able to scale the wall in an effort to make it to the top. Students can access the climbing wall for free during Free Climbing Fridays from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. or during the weekdays for a small fee of $4.00 per person.

For those seeking a little more adventure or just want to change up their routine, there many more options available to them through the Adventure Center. Students can sign up for many of the Adventure Trips or Outdoor Clinics such as a Stand-Up Paddleboarding Clinic or the Outdoor Climbing Clinic.

A full range of classes like yoga, Pilates and even Zumba are offered at an array of times as well. The Rec even hosts two races as well: the Bowman Cup 5K in the fall and the Black Squirrel 5K in the spring.             

Students who love to run are encouraged to register for the 14th annual Bowman Cup, a Kent State 5K named after the University’s President Dr. James Bowman. The race will be held at 8:00 a.m. on Oct. 18 beginning and ending in front of the Rec center. Runners will follow the course through Kent’s residential areas and along the Portage Hike and Bike Trail. Participants can register online through Eventbrtite.com until Oct. 13; registration is $25.00 for students.

For the past 15 years the Rec Center has made it their goal to promote “…a lifelong commitment to health and wellness for the people who serve through exceptional programs, learning opportunities, services and facilities.”

Caitlin Siegfried was a reporter and designer for the Summer Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].