Wright Hall utilized as summer residence hall for the first time

Josh Yager

For the first time, Wright Hall is being used as a residence hall during summer 2014 semesters due to renovations being done on Leebrick Hall.

Jill Church, director of residence services, said this is the first year students will live anywhere besides Leebrick during the summer.

“We have about 150 students living in Wright over the summer,” Church said. “They come and go based on summer one, two and three classes.”

One change over the summer is that security only works until 2 a.m. unlike the regular school year when they work until 4 a.m., Church said.

J.D. Chancellor, residence hall director for Wright Hall, said the newly renovated building has awesome new amenities such as the sky lounge that help students meet and socialize.

“It’s a great community to be a part of,” Chancellor said. “Lots of international, national students and athletic students. There are different campus programs these students are a part of too.”

Freshman integrated life sciences major Pouya Jouharian, who is in the NEOMED program, said there are 35 kids in his program who are living in Wright over the summer.

“Wright Hall has some good programs here and there,” Jouharian said. “Thursday, Wright is having pancake night in the sky lounge.”

Kalil Morris, an incoming freshman business major on the football team, said people are really friendly at Wright Hall.  He said he has never had a problem finding a quiet room to hang out in with his friends.

Sophomore interior design major Brittney Charleton said it is really quiet over the summer. 

“It’s not as busy and kind of weird because I’m used to so many people coming in and out of the dorms,” she said. “It is too quiet.” 

In contrast, freshman computer science major Eddie Bassin said the peaceful environment has helped him academically.

“It’s quiet so I can focus on school a lot easier,” Bassin said. “It can also be kind of boring because there is less people here.”

Contact Josh Yager at [email protected].