Kent State set to host first ever Pride Games

Jenna Francis

Four campus organizations will join efforts this summer to put on Kent State’s first ever Pride Games.        

The Department of Recreational Services, PRIDE! Kent, the Women’s Center and the LGBTQ Student Center are working together to present the event on August 1 at Kent State’s recreation center.

Abby Milsaps, marketing coordinator for the recreation center, said the Department of Recreational Services created the event after being inspired by the Gay Games that will be hosted later in August in Cleveland and Akron.

“We thought we could take it a step further and do something more, kind of celebrate the spirit of the Gay Games here at Kent State University,” Millsaps said. “We want to help increase their awareness, help direct people to go watch their games and potentially recruit volunteers for the Gay Games.”

Millsaps said the event will offer many activities including sand volleyball, dodgeball, cheer competition, tug of war and a one-mile glow run.

Not all activities at the event will be physically challenging.

“We chose events for the Pride Games that are very relaxed so anyone could participate,” said Brandon Stephens, president of PRIDE! Kent. “We even decided to throw in a giant slip ‘n’ slide because it’s going to be hot! The Pride Games are open to everyone and we’re strongly encouraging students and members of the Kent and Northeast Ohio communities to show up and have a good time!”

Stephens said his organization will be volunteering at the event.

“On the day of the event members of my executive board and I will be at various stations making sure everything is running smoothly,” said Stephens.

Once the Pride Games are finished, participants can make it’s way down town to Bar 145 for an after event social party.

“We’ll have people from outside of Kent,” Millsaps said. “So it’s a really nice way to show off our campus and our downtown and what Kent State’s all about.”

Contact Jenna Francis at [email protected].