Warren starts tour with feedback from regionals, alumni

Josh Yager

President Beverly Warren will spend the first six months on the road for a listening tour, which launched Tuesday, July 1 at the Ashtabula regional campus. Warren’s goal is to hear the thoughts of the Kent State community, alumni, faculty and students.

Warren said in an email that she wants to hear about everything from what makes people proud to be at Kent to what could make it better.

“My goal is to consider all perspectives as I build a solid grasp of Kent State’s people and programs and of our immediate and longer-term challenges and opportunities,” Warren said.  “I want to explore how I can best help the university build on its remarkable, positive momentum of recent years.”

Eric Mansfield, executive director and university media relations, said Warren will be holding these meetings with each regional campus in the summer and the main campus in the fall. She will also be listening to alumni in key cities throughout the next five to six months.

“I think people are really going to get a lot out of this having a chance to interact with her one on one,” Mansfield said. “Some of these meetings will be as small as 20 people while others are as large as 100.”

Stephen Nameth, dean of the Salem and East Liverpool campuses, said he has Warren’s visit for East Liverpool’s campus on Wednesday, July 9, planned to the minute.

“I think she is going to take a hard look at the regional campuses and have a real good feel for what these campuses do and continue to do at the next level for Kent State University,” Nameth said.  “I can’t say it enough, I’m excited to have her here.  She’s going to be a great president, there is no question about it.”

Kellie Mayle, assistant director of alumni relations, said the department is excited to be a part of the listening tour.

“She wants to hear from our alumni,” Mayle said.  “She wants to hear about what they feel is the heart of Kent State.  What is it that endears them to Kent State?”

One scheduled visit is on July 23 at John S. Knight Center in Akron.  This event is invite only and guests must RSVP to attend.

Mansfield said those who can’t make the meeting but still want to respond can visit Kent State’s listening tour page and submit feedback that Dr. Warren will be able to see.

“We are offering the hashtag #HeartofKSU,” Mregioansfield said.  “We’re asking people on Twitter and Instagram to use that hashtag so we can continue to capture their feedback on the listening tour event.”

Contact Josh Yager at [email protected].