Our View: Unintentional offenses

DKS Editors

Today’s article on colorism points out that people are judged solely on one aspect of themselves — skin tone. The article points out there are certain stereotypes that go along with one’s skin tone, for example light meaning good and dark meaning bad.

Last week, we published an article about microaggressions pointing out how sometimes stereotypes lead to racially-charged language which can offend and harm individuals. (Unfortunately, this article about a legitimate issue was taken down due to a fabricated lead.)

These offenses often go unchallenged because those who are harmed by them don’t speak up. The behavior continues.

Both of these issues point out that as a society, we are quick to judge based on one’s looks. This can go beyond race, and we can judge based on clothing, affiliations, group of friends, et cetera.

The old cliché states “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” We’ve all heard it a million times, yet it seems we continue to ignore it in practice.

Each person you meet on campus is unique, and each person has something to contribute. Not letting someone contribute in his or her own way because of the way he or she looks is not only silly but unfair.

Each person should also be able to realize his or her own value and his or her own beauty. We all have every right to feel comfortable in our own skin and not be put down by those around us because of how we look.

As a campus community, we should work to end stereotypes and judgment based on looks. College affords students countless opportunities through class, student organizations, intramural sports and more. As students, we should want our peers to be able to take each opportunity they see fit.

Through support of one another, we can all gain success. Hopefully, we can carry this support of one another beyond Kent State, and maybe it will catch on elsewhere. All we can do is try.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.