Sigma Nu brings a fresh event to spring with golf philanthropy

Justin Graci

Last year, Sigma Nu Zeta Gamma chapter held its first annual spring philanthropy  — a golf outing at the Fairways at Twin Lakes — that brought a creative and new idea to the typical Greek philanthropy.

Last year, Sigma Nu raised $4,000 for the American Heart Association, and it plans to raise even more this year at the philanthropies second run on Sunday, April 13, at 11 a.m.

Jason DeRosa, a sophomore business management major and philanthropy chair for Sigma Nu, came up with the idea for a golf outing last year after an event in Erie with his father.

“I really enjoyed the outing with my dad,” he said. “It just so happened when I got back to our weekly meeting, the guys asked if anyone had any ideas for a spring philanthropy. Once we started looking at prices and everything, we realized how good of an idea it was, and it turned out being better than we could have ever imagined.”

DeRosa said that beside the amount of money they make, the best part about the outing is that it’s a chance to get away from campus and take a day to have fun with friends.

“We were one-of-a-kind last year,” he said. “We had this golf outing, and the other fraternities that came just had a ball. I’ve never seen some of these guys have this much fun in their whole life. While golfing usually seems like a formal thing, this is just a chance to get together and have a lot of fun for a good cause.”

Chris Titus, a junior communication studies major and public relations chair for Sigma Nu, said that the fraternity was hesitant to host a philanthropy event away from the university.

“It’s always nervous having events so far off campus,” Titus said. “I was nervous last year, but we ended up doing exceptionally well. Having it off campus actually looks more official to the parents and business owners that come out to the event, and I think that helps us bring in a lot more money.”

Titus hopes to bring in a much more significant amount of money with the outing this year and said that it seems very likely that they will surpass last year’s income.

“This year we’re really hoping to pass our $4,000 mark, and I definitely think it’s possible with all of the hard work we’ve been doing leading up to this event. “We’re expecting a pretty good turnout,” Titus said. “I think that we’re going to have about 20 teams this year, so that already will help us out greatly.”

DeRosa said that this philanthropy is unique and hopes the fraternity keeps the tradition going for many years to come.

“I think one thing that’s different about this philanthropy is that there is no preparation or training but just a lot of guys getting together and having a ball,” DeRosa said.

“Aside from your friends, you can also get your family involved with this event and have them participate on your team as well, anyone can participate. I think this philanthropy provides a change of scenery from all of the other ones hosted on campus and hopefully it grows larger in the years to come.”

Contact Justin Graci at [email protected].