Opinion: Traveling with a cultural purpose

Megan L. Brown is a junior magazine journalism major and a columnist for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact her at [email protected].

Megan L. Brown

Spring break is right around the corner, so that means a stress-free week for us college students. Some might be staying in Kent over break or traveling home to their families, but what’s stopping you from traveling somewhere out of state, or even out of the country?

I’m not talking about the cliché trip to Panama City to be intoxicated 24/7. I’m talking about traveling the world for a great cultural experience. Next week I will be traveling to Sedona, Arizona, for some canyon hiking and relaxation.

A city to look into for spring break is Toronto; it’s beautiful and full of culture, and I went there for my spring break freshman year. It wasn’t my first time there, but I enjoyed it. It was a nice break from school, but I didn’t need to be partying while I was there.

Granted, I was 19 at the time and I was legal to drink there, so I did dabble in some beer. Kensington Market is the place to be while visiting Toronto; it has everything from restaurants, cafes, organic grocery stores, vintage shops and more.

Every building is colorful and gives the neighborhood life, so why are some students saying no to these kinds of trips? If it’s because of money, try staying at a hostel. Toronto has several upscale, affordable hostels available right in the heart of the city. Also, plan your trips months ahead of time to save money.

Asheville, N.C., is also an affordable, culture-infused city to visit. I traveled there last spring break and immediately fell in love. It’s a laid-back city full of life with its variety of restaurants and shopping.

The Biltmore Estate is located there and is a great place for a tour. The Biltmore, a Châteauesque-styled mansion built by George Washington Vanderbilt II between 1889 and 1895, is the largest privately owned house in the United States. There’s so much to do there, so take the opportunity to explore.

I believe students should travel as much as possible while they’re young. Maybe next year you’ll have a friend studying abroad, so start saving now to visit them during spring break. This world is full of beauty, and we should try to experience it in our lifetime. I’ve been to seven countries outside the U.S., and I haven’t regretted traveling to any.  

The time off for spring break is also a good time to travel to where you might like to move after graduation. After seeing Asheville, I found myself looking for jobs there for once I graduate. It can get you excited about the future and give positivity to yourself.

Looking to move to NYC once you graduate? Take a trip over spring break for possible jobs or living situations. Check out what the city has to offer you.

Make traveling a cultural experience for yourself. Start looking and start saving. This is your time to travel.