USG Candidates: Director of Business and Finance

Photo

Dominique Cook
Entrepreneurship major, Junior

What do you hope to accomplish while in office?

“I really want to create a bond between the student organizations and the study body and the student government. I want to get feedback from the student organizations to see if they like the funds they’ve been receiving and create a healthy bond in Kent State in general.”

What specific responsibilities will you have?

“Approving funds, to sum it up.”

Why are you running?

“I’m running because I really want to make a difference on Kent State’s campus and I feel like I have the ability to do that. I feel that Kent State needs somebody who will definitely create a bond between student government and the student body. And most of all, I love the process.”

What previous experience do you have with student leadership?

“I run track here at Kent State, and I would say I was a leader on the team, and just my connection with the student body in general. I’m always around, I talk to random people and give them, not advice, but just a friendly help and a smile. If that’s what a leader does then I feel like I have it a little bit.”

Why do you think you will be the best for the position?

“I feel like I’ll work the hardest in this position. I’ll get involved and learn as much as I can. In my process of learning I’ll definitely give all I can too.”

Now that College Dems/Reps & PRIDE! aren’t endorsing any candidates, what will you do for endorsements?

“Be yourself and build communications with the right people. Make sure your vision is correct and stay connected with people who will put you in that position and give you endorsements. I feel like I’ve been doing that, and show I know what I’m talking about and that I’m learning as I go.”

Photo

Kelsey Meadows
Managerial Marketing major, Junior

”My main goal in this position would be to create an online allocation application.  Right now, everything is on paper.  So, if a student organization would want funding for an event, they would have to fill out all of the paper work and find me, if I get the position.  By placing the allocation application online, things would be more efficient for everyone.”

“I would be in charge of gathering an allocation committee, which requires going through applications and selecting committee members who I feel would represent Kent State as a whole.  I would also be in charge of facilitating those meetings and distributing the funds.”

Why are you running?

“The main reason why I’m running is because I’m very passionate about Kent State organizations as a whole and I’ve had students come up to me asking questions about how to apply for money and what’s the process.  If elected, I can make the process easier and that’s why I’m running.”  

“Right now, I’m the Senator for the College of Business and I’m in the National Society of Colligate Scholars.  I’m also in the Delta Zeta sorority where I hold certain positions.”    

“I think that I would represent Kent State and the students well.  I really think I can give all student organizations a voice.  I also think that I’m fair, especially when it come to applying for funds.  Whoever has this position has to be fair.  You have to learn how to say no, but then in the same breath, I do want to distribute the funds equally so each of the student organization have a chance to succeed.” 

Photo

Brian Cannon
Entrepreneurship major, Sophomore