KSU Police Services receives accreditation distinction

MELANIE NESTERUK

MELANIE NESTERUK | DAILY KENT STATERSargeant Wayne Parker and Officer Kevin Hammer stand in front of the Kent State Police’s 7th Certificate of Accreditation Sunday, Feb. 16, 2014.

Nathan Havenner

After reviewing their files and procedures and speaking with staff and individuals on campus, Kent State Police Services has again received accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, police Sgt. Nancy Shefchuk said.

Shefchuk, said the organization also known as CALEA sets standards law enforcement agencies must meet to receive their accreditation. Campus Police Services received the Advanced Accreditation with Excellence distinction.

“There are 482 standards we have to adhere to stay accredited,” Shefchuk said. “Not every one applies to us. For example, some deal with jails, and we do not have a jail on campus.”

Shefchuk, said Campus Police Services has been accredited since 1991. The department is reviewed for the accreditation every three years by CALEA.

“I think it’s great that our university police are so credible for the seventh consecutive time,” sophomore accounting major Brennan Otto said. “It is good to know that they are keeping the campus safe.”

Otto is not the only student happy to see campus police receive this distinction.

“It makes me feel safe on campus,” sophomore exploratory major Jacob McClellan said. “I was not really aware of how protective they actually were.”

University spokesman Eric Mansfield said campus police should be very proud of this accomplishment.

“We have an outstanding, dedicated police force at Kent State University,” Mansfield said. “We congratulate Chief John Peach and the entire department on reaching the highest level of accreditation as another example of the exemplary service these men and women provide every day.”

Shefchuk said the campus police are not the only department at the university that has received accreditation.

“A lot of the other parts of the university have their own accreditation standards and are accredited,” Shefchuk said.

The accreditation process involves many people and requires everyone in Campus Police Services to be constantly working to make sure they are at the top of their game.

“Every three years, they go through our files and procedures to make sure we are living up to our policies,” Shefchuk said.

Shefchuk said the standards set by CALEA are the most, proactive ways to decrease liability for the department. In addition, all campus police officers are trained to be in compliance with the standards set by CALEA.

“We have to live that every day,” Shefchuk said. “If we were not doing that all year, we would not be in keeping with the spirit of CALEA.”

Those wishing to learn more about the KSU Police Services accreditation process can go to http://www.kent.edu/police/index.cfm for more information.

Contact Nathan Havenner at [email protected].