Career Services Center hosts annual job, internship fair

Devin Hennessy

Kent State’s Career Services Center is having a annual spring job and internship fair Thursday from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the ballroom of the Student Center, and more than  115 companies will be in attendence.

Senior public health major Allison Hubbell attended her first job fair last spring.

“It was really beneficial for me,” Hubbell said. “I networked a lot, got multiple phone interviews and ended up with an internship from it.”

Hubbell got her first internship with Oriana House after attending the job fair. Oriana House is a nonprofit agency that assists people in overcoming drug and alcohol abuse.

“This year, I plan on finding contacts and gaining interviews for full-time positions,” Hubbell said.

“Every student is welcome to come,” said Ryan McNaughton, a career counselor at the Career Services Center. “Even if you’re not in search mode, it’s good to have an idea of what the day entails and what to expect no matter what age you are.”

Sophomore hospitality management major Mariah Gantz attended her first job fair last spring as a freshman.

“I originally went because of my FYE class, but I am glad I did because I met a lot of contacts,” Gantz said. “This year I know what to expect, and I am fully prepared.”

“The best way to maximize your possibilities is to be prepared,” McNaughton said.

McNaughton compared the job fair to “organized chaos.” He said for students to be successful, they should dress to impress, do research on interested companies and bring multiple copies of their resumes on resume paper.  

“Absolutely no jeans,” McNaughton said. “Think formal business attire.”

Spy-Glass recruiter Calyn Henderson, will be at the job fair Thursday recruiting sales team members.  

“We look for confidence and personality in students,” Henderson said.

Henderson said they expect students to dress professional and come prepared with questions.

“Students should be very confident in themselves,” Henderson said. “Go up and talk to anybody because it can’t hurt you. Even if it’s the first time you’ve ever heard of the company, that is okay. Just ask questions and sound interested in the company.”

McNaughton encourages students to practice the elevator pitch.

“It is your 30-second intro about yourself that you give to each employer,” he said. “It’s a way to summarize yourself in under a minute and make an impression.

“In the elevator pitch, state your name, major and year of school. Also, talk about the company and why you are interested in it.”

Todd Lancaster, business development executive at Oswald Companies, an insurance brokerage firm, will be at the job fair recruiting graduating seniors.  He said Oswald has grown a lot in the past three to five years.

“Students should be able to approach people and carry themselves with integrity,” Lancaster said, “We want to meet entrepreneurial spirit and personable people who are willing to take risks.”

Lancaster said the best advice he can give to students is to learn about the companies and take any opportunity to get hands-on experience.

Contact Devin Hennessy at [email protected].