Wrestling, gymnastics set for magical weekend

Rachael Le Goubin

Senior T.J. Keklak (right) enters with senior Marie Case (left) at the Beauty and the Beast gymnastics and wrestling meet on Feb. 8, 2013.

Alex Klukaszewski

Kent State will host its second annual Beauty and the Beast event in the M.A.C. Center this Sunday. A dual combo performance of backflips and takedowns courtesy of the gymnastics and wrestling teams will provide an entertaining night of action for students and the public.

The Beauty and the Beast event is designed to depict both sports in different ways at the same time. The collaboration is associated with the effort to draw a larger crowd in order to help create publicity for the two sports. Gymnastics can be referred to as an art form as the athlete strives for perfection, balance and, of course, beauty, while the wrestlers unleash their power and strength in order to obtain victory, like a beast.

Along with students and other Flashes fans, children are encouraged to attend the event to participate in the provided activities and broaden their knowledge of the two sports.

Sharon Sabin, assistant coach of the gymnastics team, said that the Beauty and the Beast event can open doors for children.

“I feel that it gives opportunities to families that have both young boys and girls to come and enjoy an event as a family together,” Sabin said. “Also, you may have a fan of one of the sports come to the event and become a new fan of the other sport.”

Last February was the first year that KSU hosted the Beauty and the Beast event. The idea of having the event originated after the Flashes’ wrestling coaches tossed around the plan after participating in a similar event held at Eastern Michigan.

Assistant Director of Athletic Communications Aaron Chimenti said that his favorite moment was seeing both Flashes squads ring the victory bell in unison.

“We’ve got a tradition here with all of our teams. After you win a home contest we ring the big victory bell,” Chimenti said. “It was the first time I had seen two teams come together and both ring it at the same time, it was kind of symbolic of how good our two programs are.” 

Plenty of activities will take place at the Beauty and the Beast event, including a coloring contest for children, autographs from team members after the action and even a contest for Kent State students and fans to dress up like the characters from the Disney film. One male and one female winner will be chosen, and each will each receive a $100 gift card to the campus bookstore.

Tickets for Sunday’s event range from $3 to $8. The event is set to start at 2 p.m.

Contact Alex Klukaszewski at [email protected].