Kent Independent Films experiences an overflow of support at the Hell at Heathridge premiere

Jason Kilbane, sophomore electronic media production major, gets his bow tie fixed by his friend and fellow fraternity member, architecture senior Andrew Burson, at the opening of Hell at Heathridge on Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013. Kilbane was a part of the production team for the film.

Alexandra Taylor

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to reflect the version that ran in the Daily Kent Stater. An earlier version was mistakenly posted online.

Supporters of the Kent State University Independent Films flooded the Student Center Ballroom for the premiere of “Hell at Heathridge” Thursday night.

“Hell at Heathridge” is the most recent film that KSUIF has worked on, which has been more than a year in the making. The horror film centers around five students at Heathridge University who are asked to recreate a gruesome murder mystery that took place on the campus 20 years prior.

“I’m really nervous, because we’re going to see if people get scared or not,” Director Tyler Pina said.

The event began with a social hour where family and friends were able to meet up with student cast and crew workers for the film and congratulate them on their big day. The ballroom was decorated in inflatable Academy Awards, and the entryway was filled with images of the film’s stars and a red carpet. The capacity for the event flooded over to the point that supporters sat on the floor to watch the debut of the horror film.

The night went “pretty good,” said Buddy Candela, casting director and event host. “A lot of people drove a long way to be here and support us.”

The film received overall good remarks from students in the audience.

Zach Mandel, sophomore communication studies major, said, “I thought it was okay. I’m not a huge fan of horror films, but I think the volume was too loud at times. Other than that, I think the actors did a good job. Overall, I enjoyed it.”

Hannah Servedio, sophomore communication studies major, said, “It was very well done, but it was very loud.”

“Hell at Heathridge” will be shown again in the Kiva on Saturday. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the movie starts at 8 p.m. Tickets for the second showing cost $5 and will be available at the door.

Contact Alexandra Taylor at [email protected].