May 4 Task Force to host Fall Forum

Megan Brown

Kent State Undergraduate Student Government will sponsor its annual May 4 Task Force Fall Forum at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Kiva.

The May 4 Task Force is a registered student organization at Kent State representing the student voice to remember the tragedy that occurred at Kent State on May 4, 1970. The organization seeks to clarify the details of the May 4 shooting, which killed four people.

“We use it to focus less on history and instead try to discuss broader topics that are more immediately relevant to students,” May 4 Task Force president Dylan Diblik said.

“The May 4 Fall Forum represents the most dynamic element of the Task Force’s activities on campus. Every spring we organize the commemoration of the shootings. By its nature, the Commemoration is about the past, about those that we’ve lost, and the circumstances in which we lost them,” May 4 Task Force secretary John Hess said. “The Fall Forum, on the other hand, is about contemporary issues in our world today.”

This year’s discussion will focus on ways to create peace.

“We have asked a number of student organizations to sit on a panel with the goal of learning about different organizations interaction with peace and also making peace a more important issue to the average student,” Diblik said. Student organizations in attendance will include Black United Students, Native American Student Association, Hillel, Students for Justice in Palestine and the Daily Kent Stater.

“We are a group of students and community members that meet every Thursday at 7:00 (p.m.) in the Library to discuss ways to educate those around us, and plan events that serve as a lasting memorial for the students of the May 4 tragedy,” Diblik said.

Anyone is welcome to attend the event. Refreshments will be included.

Contact Megan Brown at [email protected].