Minority fashion show puts student talents on display

Samantha Tuly

Original student designs will share the runway with established brand pieces on Saturday.

MODISTA, the minority fashion group on campus, will be presenting its fall fashion show, “Noir Nouveau,” at 7 p.m. in the Rockwell Hall Auditorium.

The show is composed of student volunteers.

“We want to give people a chance to showcase their work, even if it’s not in the school’s annual show,” MODISTA President Kasia Gibbs said.

MODISTA’s fall show gives students the chance to get involved with extracurricular work and show off their skills. Merchandising students have the opportunity to organize a show while design students display original works.

“(The show) does give merchandising students and design students the opportunity to showcase their talents,” said Schae Coakley, marketing director for MODISTA and junior fashion merchandising major.

Gibbs said 10 designers will each show up to three original pieces.

Along with the student designs, items from PINK, Next, Gracy Lane and other local brands will be featured on the runway.

In French, the show’s title translates to “the new black.” The current MODISTA board inspired the naming of the fashion show.

“We came up with it because it’s the first board we’ve had… that’s completely new,” Gibbs said. “There are no founding members left.”

The show encourages designers to take it upon themselves to interpret the theme.

“They came up with some really interesting things,” Gibbs said. “I’m excited to see it.”

“Noir Nouveau” tickets for MODISTA members are $5, $7 for non-members, and will be on sale from 2 to 5 p.m. in the Student Center on Friday or for $10 at the door.

Contact Samantha Tuly at [email protected].