Students explore majors and minors from all KSU campuses

Chelsae Ketchum

Freshman special education major Cari Pierce talks with Gina Zavota about philosophy at the Majors Fair in the Student Center Ballroom on Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2013. Photo by Chelsae Ketchum.

Bruce Walton

Students lined up in the Student Center Ballroom for the fourth annual Majors and Minors Fair, Wednesday morning.

Emily Carle, learning community coordinator of Student Success Programs, organized the event for the first time this year. Carle said the fair doesn’t necessarily have a booth for each major or minor but instead represents each college and their respective schools and departments.

“(The fair is) to help students that are in their first semester or their third semester,” Carle said. “They don’t necessarily have access to those resources to those majors or minors to try and help bring them to those majors and minors.”

Carle said she hopes students exploring or looking for different majors find the right fit for them. She said she believes for every student there is a different fit for them and hopes to get them all on one right path to graduate with a specific major.

Regional campus representatives also attended the fair. Three programs from regional campuses, computer design animation and game design (CDAG), insurance studies and respiratory therapy, had individual booths to raise awareness about their programs to main campus students.

The representatives of the regional campus majors said they wanted to explain to students that they can still stay on main campus to take them. Students can take the CDAG major while at the main-campus, despite the major originating from the Tuscarawas campus.

“The problem is the students right here at Kent do not know we exist,” said Pamela Schram, academic advisor for CDAG. “Because they think it’s only at Kent (Tuscarawas), and it isn’t. Our professors are here, our program is here, our advisor’s here, so it’s kind of tough that they don’t know that they can do CDAG at Kent Main.”

Carol Blaine, lead faculty and program coordinator Insurance Studies program, said the major can be taken completely online.

Although the respiratory therapy major couldn’t be taken on campus, Yvonne George, respiratory therapy academic program director, said students can take pre-requisites at other campuses. After pre-requisites, George said the associate degree’s classes are on the Ashtabula campus.

Campus services, such as Library Services, Undergraduate Services and Career Services, also had tables at the fair to help raise awareness about their services.

Carle said she was satisfied by how the event turned out and plans to gather feedback from students and colleges about how to improve the fair next year. Carle hopes to connect with students through their Facebook page and YouTube channels, too.

Contact Bruce Walton at [email protected].