Field hockey breaks losing streak, earns weekend split

Coty J. Giannelli

Freshman Madison Thompson (right) tries to dribble past an opponent on her way down the field during the Flashes’ game on Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013. The Flashes were unable to pull off a victory, losing 3-1. Photo by Coty Giannelli.

Chris Ginley

The Kent State field hockey team broke a five-game losing streak in a 5-2 victory against the Missouri State University Bears to open up conference play Friday at Murphy-Mellis Field. The Flashes (5-8, 1-0 Mid-American Conference) then fell 3-1 to No. 10 Northwestern Sunday afternoon.

Kent State, which won its MAC opener in six of the last seven seasons, controlled the first half and took a 3-0 lead into the halftime break. Junior midfielder Hannah Faulkner got the scoring started for the Flashes, scoring at the 1:04 mark of the first half from an assist from senior Rebecca Lee.

Senior Melanie Kahn scored her sixth goal of the season and junior Julia Hofmann scored her eighth of the season to add to the Flashes’ lead in the first half.

The second half was much more even.

Freshman goaltender Andrea Rinehart recorded three saves and earned the first win of her college career.

The Northwestern Wildcats came to Kent Sunday, scoring two unanswered goals in the first half and keeping the Flashes contained on offense. The Flashes managed only four shots on goal the entire.

Kent State freshman Madison Thompson scored the only goal for the Flashes at the 57-minute mark.

The Flashes will return to conference play at home when they take on the Central Michigan University Chippewas at noon Saturday.

Contact Chris Ginley at [email protected].