Zumbathon parties in pink

Chase Bonhotel

A “Party in Pink Zumbathon” charity event will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom on Friday. Everyone is welcome to attend, regardless of age.

The price is $10 per person, and 75 percent of the proceeds goes to Zumba’s global research grant for Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The remaining 25 percent goes to the event host, Kent State’s hip-hop dance team, Golden Reflections.

Danielle Novotny, the Kent State Zumba instructor in charge of the event, said Party in Pink Zumbathons are typical fundraisers during the month of October, because it is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

“Zumba has raised millions of dollars all over the world,” Novotny said. “This (Party in Pink) is our staple; it started it all.”

According to zumba.com, Zumbathons are exhilarating, effective, easy-to-follow, calorie-burning dance parties.

“It’s just a big party,” said Novotny with a smile. “We have a good time, and it’s all going toward a great cause.”

Novotny said the event will have 11 different Zumba instructors and various gift baskets will be raffled off. Some prizes will include Cleveland Cavaliers and Browns tickets, tanning products and salon gift cards.

“I went to the last one, and it raised so much money,” sophomore magazine journalism major Gabrielle Martinez said. “There is no way I’m going to miss this one, and plus, it helps so many people.”

Contact Chase Bonhotel at [email protected].