QuadFest brings food and festivities to campus

Mariam Makatsaria

Stopher, Johnson, Lake and Olson residence halls will entertain residents Wednesday at their annual QuadFest event from 4 to 6 p.m.

The featured booths offer information on student organizations and on-campus resources, including the Office of Health Promotion, Kent State Police Department, Alumni Affairs, EXCEL, CCI Commons and the Honors College.

Joshua Roush, assistant residence hall director of Stopher and Johnson halls, said that representatives from about 22 campus offices are attending the event.

The festival will also offer food, activities and music for students. Roush said students should expect to enjoy activities like games, face painting, photo booths and throwing pies at their resident assistant staff.

Roush said that students can earn tickets by participating in games and other fun activities. They can then exchange tickets for drinks and food such as kettle corn, slushies and other snacks.

“QuadFest is particularly interesting because it’s both a social activity and is also an educational opportunity for students,” Roush said. “It’s educating our students, familiarizing them with the campus, but it’s also supporting our department in their efforts to help our students adjust to the campus and know what’s available to them.”

Jillian H. Kiska, academic adviser at the Honors College, is responsible for the Honors College table at the QuadFest. In accordance with this year’s fall theme, Kiska said the Honors College will provide students with pumpkins to paint and take home.

“Our goal is to make it a fun activity,” Roush said. “It’s a tradition. There’s going to be music, and it’s supposed to be light-hearted — kind of a celebration of the community that we have in the Quad.”

Contact Mariam Makatsaria at [email protected].