Kent State sororities break record for new recruits

The sisters of Sigma Sigma Sigma show their excitement and await meeting their new members on Sunday Sept. 22, 2013. Photo by Matt Unger.

DKS staff

Kent State’s Panhellenic Council ended the biggest recruitment week in its history Sunday. After a series of chapter compatibility and philanthropy events with the university’s six sororities, the council extended bids, or offers, to 411 out of 700 interested students Sunday.

Stephanie Tripi, member of Alpha Phi and vice president of recruitment and retention for the council, said the amount of bids doubled this year and surpassed the number of total recruitments from last year. Tripi said the university’s average sorority size is up to 160 members.

The recruitment process consists of rounds of parties and events geared toward connecting prospective members with the most compatible sorority. Chi Omega member Brianna Foraker, president of Panhellenic Council and senior childhood education major, said trying to find a spot for every girl is a challenge.

“There are so many girls that are interested,” Foraker said. “We’re trying to handle that, considering our facilities are smaller than some.”

Sophomore biology major Lauren Pankiw, new member of Sigma Sigma Sigma, said she was excited and exhausted with bid week.

“The past week, I haven’t gotten six hours of sleep, but honestly, it’s over, and I’m relieved and I feel like I have climbed a mountain and jumped off in a good way,” Pankiw said. “You go out in groups and you run and they say welcome home you just run to your sorority and you just hug them. That was awesome.”

Freshman fashion merchandising major Hunter Mowen, new member of Alpha Phi, said she didn’t expect to feel so close to her new sisters.

“I played a lot of sports in high school, and I was the vice president of the student body and president of my class, and I wanted that involvement again,” Mowen said. “I never thought Alpha Phi, the one I’m at now, would be it, but when I walked in their house, I was like, ‘This is me. This is it. I am home.’”

Kent State’s new sorority, Phi Mu, will be participating in informational sessions and will begin formal recruitment this week. Phi Mu will give women the potential to be a founding member of a chapter.

Foraker said the recruitment process is especially important for first-semester freshmen.

“The next four years of their lives will be determined by this process,” Foraker said. “It’s a big impact, and the sisterhood lasts a lifetime. They’re offered so many opportunities for leadership, community service and scholarship.”