Students and staff remember professor Erik Heidemann

Counseling available on campus
Counseling and Human Development Center 330-672-2208 www.kent.edu/ehhs/chdc
Psychological Clinic 330-672-2372 www.kent.edu/cas/psychology/clinic
Psychological Services 330-672-2487 www.kent.edu/uhs/psych

Counseling available on campus Counseling and Human Development Center 330-672-2208 www.kent.edu/ehhs/chdc Psychological Clinic 330-672-2372 www.kent.edu/cas/psychology/clinic Psychological Services 330-672-2487 www.kent.edu/uhs/psych

Hilary Crisan

Editor’s note: Erik Heidemann’s cause of death was aortic dissection, not stenosis as the article indicated.

The sudden death of a well-loved Kent State political science professor shook the university, leaving students and faculty to reflect on the legacy he has left.

Erik Heidemann, assistant political science professor, died from a sudden heart attack caused by a defect in his heart on Tuesday, Sept. 3, Merlinda Heidemann, mother of Erik said.

Students and faculty remember him for his intelligence and his benevolent approach to teaching.

“Dr. Heidemann was inspirational to his students. He was always willing to go the extra mile, both in and outside of the classroom, to guarantee that each of his students fully understood and appreciated what he was teaching,” said Christopher Clevenger, president of the political science club, in an e-mail. “He made himself relatable.”

According to Kent State’s website, “[Heidemann’s] work focused on elite deicison-making in presidential nominations, the role of legislative party ‘voter contracts’ on electoral outcomes, the changing nature of grassroots mobilization of the electorate, and mass-based restrictive attitudes towards electoral participating.”

Heidemann left behind his mother, Merlinda Heidemann, his father, David Heidemann, and his sister, all who remember him as an intelligent, well-spoken man.

“He was so smart and had a way with words. I was always impressed with his vocabulary,” Merlinda said. “We just really loved him, and it was just so sad for him to pass.”

Heidemann was respected by his colleagues as well.

“What we were most amazed by was the fact that he could get students excited about Political Methods,” associate political science professor Andrew Barnes said. “And that’s not an easy thing to do.”

His students are grateful for his hard work and effort to help them understand the content of his classes.

“Erik Heidemann was a dedicated educator who actually cared about the successes of his students, and went out of his way to guarantee that success,” Clevenger said. “While he only spent a year here with our students, his legacy and education style will live on in the hearts of Golden Flashes for years to come.”

Contact Hilary Crisan at [email protected].