DDEI to host first golf outing

Kelsey Leyva

Kent State University will host the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s (DDEI) first golf outing, “Tee Up for Scholarships.” The event will be Monday, May 20, at Windmill Lakes Golf Course in Ravenna, Ohio, with a shotgun start at 9 a.m.All registered attendees will receive 18 holes of golf, a breakfast and lunch buffet, a T-shirt and opportunities to win awards and prizes, according to the press release. The overall purpose of the tournament is to raise scholarship funds for underrepresented and underserved students. Underrepresented includes African American, Latino American and Native American students, and underserved includes other minority groups such as the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) community, first generation students, students with disabilities and others.Gina Campana, special assistant for the Office of Planning and Assessment in the DDEI, has played an active role in the planning of this event.“Providing partnership support of this scholarship fundraising event will enable the university to attract and retain promising, high-caliber students as they persist through graduation to fulfillment of their career objectives,” she said. “The whole purpose of the golf outing aligns with the strategic goal of the university to promote student excellence and to open the door for students who need assistance to pursue a higher education. Scholarships are the key to achieve this.”Twenty-four teams of four have registered to participate and 13 of the 18 holes have been sponsored. Hole sponsors donate $500 and other sponsors have donated up to $5,000 for future scholarships.The price for registration is $125 per person or $475 for a team of four. Donations are highly encouraged.For more information, contact Campana at 330-672-8132 or [email protected].Kelsey Leyva is the diversity reporter for the Daily Kent Stater.Contact her at [email protected].