JMC Student Success Week begins Friday

Alyssa Flynn

The School of Journalism and Mass Communication will recognize students’ achievements for an entire week beginning April 26 and ending May 3 during the first ever Student Success Week. Thor Wasbotten, director in the School of JMC and the Student Success Week Committee, helped organize the event.

“[It’s] meant to celebrate students, their work, accomplishments and their futures,” said Stephanie Smith, interim coordinator of marketing and media in JMC.

Other Events include:

Friday, April 27: JobExpo 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Monday, April 29: Continental breakfast from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. and pizza from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in Franklin Hall.

Tuesday, April 30: Student Award Ceremony, at 6:30 p.m., which will recognize students that received awards nationally and those that work with student media.

Wednesday, May 1: Kappa Tau Alpha, a journalism honor society, will be inducting new junior and senior members at 3 p.m.

Thursday, May 2: Scholarship dinner.

Friday, May 3: Professional Advisory Board meeting.

Student Success Week will begin Friday, where seniors and juniors will attend a career fair from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Cleveland. Transportation will be provided.

The events from Tuesday to Friday are by invitation only.

May 2, a scholarship dinner will be held for students who received a scholarship from JMC.

“These are students who work very, very hard in their position,” Wasbotten said. “Whether it is based on financial need, whether it’s other qualifications, these are great accomplishments, and we want to acknowledge those students.”

A Professional Advisory Board meeting will take place on the last day of Student Success week. Barbara Hipsman-Springer, an associate professor in JMC, will be recognized for her retirement at the meeting.

The Student Success Week Committee consisted of Thor Wasbotten, director of JMC; Greg Blase, associate director; Darlene Contrucci, administrative assistant; Stephanie Smith, interim coordinator for marketing and media; Sharon Marquis, senior secretary; John Butte, practitioner in residence; and Jennifer Kramer, director of public relations and marketing in CCI.

Contact Alyssa Flynn at [email protected]..