YouToo Social Media Conference sold out

Alyssa Flynn

Social media on smart phones, laptops and tablets surrounds everyone, everyday.

At the sixth annual YouToo Social Media Conference Friday in Franklin Hall, students and professionals gathered to listen to speakers talk about the importance of social media today.

“It’s a topic that professionals are using in their everyday client relationships,” said Jennifer Kramer, director of public relations and marketing communications for the College of Communication and Information and event planner of YouToo.

Marcus Donaldson, sophomore public relations major, said he was not surprised that the conference was sold out.

“Social media is increasing becoming important in a variety of communication fields,” Donaldson said. “With PRSSA Kent and schools around the area, professionals from the greater Cleveland area and Akron, Canton, Youngstown — I’m not surprised we were able to fill this lecture hall.”

This year, the conference focused on the importance of visuals in social media.

Kevin Dugan, keynote speaker and founder of Bad Pitch Blog, began the program talking about data visualization and information graphics.

“There is a lot of different visual content,” Dugan said. “It’s a much more compelling argument to get the point across.”

Dugan also said access to data visualization and information graphics is on the rise.

Another keynote speaker, Shel Holtz, owner of Holtz Communication and Technology, did a breakout session with the students, giving them tips and answering their questions about social media and media presence.

“Be engaged in those platforms where you know people are going to hire you,” Holtz said. “Right now, that’s LinkedIn.”

He later spoke to the crowd of both professionals and students about real time marketing, a marketing concept used immediately for a company based on current events, according to digitalmarketygloassary.com

Cindy Deng, sophomore public relations major, said she learned a lot from the conference.

“The fact that I am not a social media expert, knowing more from this conference is great,” Deng said. “It’s really interesting to see where these new platforms take off.”

Taylor Titus, senior public relations major, was this year’s YouToo Social Media Conference scholarship winner. Kramer said the scholarship is given to a PRSSA member who is actively involved in helping the PRSSA chapter plan the conference.

Contact Alyssa Flynn at [email protected].