S.A.L.S.A.’s Latin Fiesta builds camaraderie

Karen Palma, sophomore fashion merchandising major, dances the salsa with Osmel Morales, on March 15. Photo by Jacob Byk.

Kelsey Leyva

Students, faculty and staff enjoyed food, music and dancing at the Spanish and Latino Student Association’s Latin Night on Friday.

El Campesino, a local restaurant, provided tamales, enchiladas, rice and beans for the event. Pandora Internet Radio kept the music going while members of the executive board of S.A.L.S.A. encouraged and taught attendees how to dance.

Karen Palma, sophomore fashion merchandising major and secretary for S.A.L.S.A., said she loves dancing and enjoyed teaching the attendees how to dance.

“There are a lot of people here who probably have never heard our music or danced to our kind of music,” Palma said. “I love dancing to begin with and I like when I can break them [attendees] out of their little shell because sometimes they’re a little shy or self-conscious.”

Jinre Holman, sophomore pre-accounting major and president of S.A.L.S.A., said that the fiesta was a way to end “Spice Up Your Life Week” on a positive note.

“We wanted to have a party to celebrate how great the whole week went,” Holman said. “We’ve already had a greater attendance than a lot of the events that we’ve had so far and I think this is a great way to get our name out to people.”

Yvette Mendoza, administrative secretary for the Center for Student Involvement and co-adviser of S.A.L.S.A., said she thought this week was a great learning experience for the organization.

“I think they were afraid of doing event and now that they’ve done them they realize it’s not that hard,” Mendoza said. “I think they were really afraid about who would come. It’s not really [about] who would come, it’s about how much fun you had.”

Mendoza said she can already see the growth in the organization.

“They’ve worked really hard,” Mendoza said. “I’m just really proud of them.”