Kent State student arrested for rape of two minors

Kent State Sophomore, Benjamin Schwartz, was arrested for having sexual activity, including rape, with two 14-year-old girls.

Lance Lysowski

A Kent State student is being held at the Portage County Jail on no bond after being arrested today for the alleged rape of two 14-year-old girls at a slumber party on Feb.16.

According to the Portage County Sheriff’s office, Benjamin Schwartz, a 19-year-old who is listed as a biotechnology major at Kent’s main campus, was supposed to be chaperoning a slumber party at a home on Kimberly Drive in Kent on Feb.16.

Schwartz, a resident of Kent, allegedly attacked the first victim that afternoon and attacked a second victim in the early morning hours of Feb. 17, after the Kent State sophomore was allegedly able to separate the victim from the other juveniles. Portage County Sheriff Deputies began an investigation on Feb. 17, following a criminal complaint.

The criminal complaint with the Portage County Municipal Court states Schwartz engaged in sexual conduct with two juvenile minors. The report also states he is accused of using force or threat of forces against the second victim. Police issued a warrant for Schwartz’s arrest on Wednesday after probable cause was found.

Schwartz has been charged with rape, a felony of he first degree and importuning, a felony of the fifth degree. The 19-year-old does not have a prior criminal history.

Schwartz will be arraigned on Monday, March 4 at 1:15 p.m. at the Ravenna Courthouse. The investigation will be presented to the Portage County Grand Jury for consideration of additional charges.