New study abroad option available at Kent State

Emily Komorowski

Kent State launched a new partnership with the International Student Exchange Program this past year that will be used in addition to current study abroad options.

Although Kent State offers study abroad to its students, this is the first time the university will be exchanging students when they send them to other universities.

ISEP includes a network of more than 330 partner institutions across the world, and provides an affordable study abroad options for students. Kent State joined the program this October.

Amber Bollinger, education abroad adviser in the Office of Global Education, said this program is new and that many students do not know about it.

“ISEP opens up many study abroad opportunities for students,” said David Di Maria, associate director of the Office of Global Education. “If you can afford to study on campus at Kent State, you can afford to study through this program.”

The organization offers two options to students: ISEP Exchange or ISEP Direct. The Exchange is cheaper and allows students to pay Kent State tuition prices, while the Direct requires students to pay tuition of the overseas school they attend.

Although most of the programs are in fall and spring semesters, summer programs are also an option. All tuition is billed to students’ Bursar’s account regardless of what semester students choose to use ISEP.

“In most cases, the majority of your current financial aid applies,” Bollinger said.

ISEP allows students to study abroad for two semesters in separate locations. Students can also join the ambassador program for ISEP after graduation to help promote international education, according to the ISEP website. Other rewards and prizes are given to ISEP ambassadors.

In order to participate in ISEP, students must be sophomores or above and have a minimum 2.75 GPA. Although the deadline for ISEP Exchange fall 2013 passed on Feb. 7, the following are upcoming deadlines for ISEP programs:

-ISEP Direct fall 2013: April 1

-ISEP Exchange spring 2014: Aug. 1

-ISEP Exchange fall 2014: Feb. 7, 2014

Contact Emily Komorowski at [email protected].