Nursing Career Day helps students plan future

Amanda Knauer

Twenty hospitals, healthcare agencies and nursing homes gathered on the first floor of Henderson Hall Monday for the College of Nursing’s Nursing Career Day.

The agencies passed out handouts, offered information and collected resumes from interested students.

“Students enjoy having so many potential employers in one place to interact with on one day,” said Kathleen Donchess, marketing coordinator for the College of Nursing. “It helps them narrow down their prospect pool and allows them to make connections that they may follow-up with closer to when they graduate and pass their nursing boards.”

The following organizations were present at the career day:

Akron Community Health Resources

Alegro Health

Cleveland Clinic

EMH Regional Healthcare System

Hattie Larlham

Infinity NP

Interprofessional Institute for Self-Care

Kaplan Test Prep

Kent State University College of Nursing Graduate Programs

Northcoast Behavioral Healthcare

Senior Independence

Summa Health Systems

The Campus of Anna Maria of Aurora

The MetroHealth System

The Woodlands at Robinson

U.S. Army & Kent State Army ROTC

UPMC Nursing

University Hospitals

ValleyCare Health Systems

West Virginia University Healthcare

Nursing Career Day is a biannual event. The College of Nursing has been hosting this event since the early 1990s. About 240 students participated this year.

Erin Bradley, senior nursing major, attended the event.

“There are a lot of potential employers here so it’s good just to network and try to get your foot in the door before you graduate,” Bradley said.

Each year, certain hospitals pay a premium to reserve a VIP room. SUMMA HEALTH Systems and ValleyCare Systems reserved the rooms this year, allowing these hospitals an hour long, one-on-one opportunity with interested students to talk more in-depth about its nursing opportunities.

Conni Contreras, senior nursing major, took advantage of the VIP rooms.

“I wanted to go to the VIP rooms because it’s a lot more personal,” Contreras said. “You get a lot more information, and the larger employers do the VIP rooms.”

Joan Pusic, human resources assistant, was recruiting for Senior Independence, an organization dedicated to providing the elderly with home health and hospice. It was the organization’s first time at the event.

“I think the event gives students an idea of what’s out there and what their opportunities are and to see what field they can get into,” Pusic said.

Contreras is interested in working in acute care after graduating from the program.

“I think its important to come to these before you graduate because you can see what each business offers and to get a head start in the application process,” Contreras said.

Contact Amanda Knauer at [email protected].