Safe travels for spring break

Arielle Campanalie

Whether students party, relax or explore during spring break, it’s important to think about the safety before traveling home or away from campus. The following are some tips given by police, airport management and students on safety for spring break travel:

Driving

James Prusha, lieutenant of Kent Police Department, said when driving for long distances over spring break, it’s important to limit distractions for the driver and for the driver to stay alert.

“I go on a long distance fishing trip each year,” Prusha said. “What I do [when I’m driving] is get out of the car at rest stops and walk around and stretch to stay alert.”

Prusha said it is important to keep emotions in check while driving to avoid road rage, to drive defensively and to make sure vehicles are ready for longer trips.

Grace Snyder, junior English major, said she is driving to Panama City Beach, Fla., over spring break with five of her friends.

“We’re taking two fairly new, well-maintained cars and taking driving shifts,” Snyder said. “We want to make sure everyone is [as] alert as possible for the long trip.”

Snyder said she plans to make sure throughout the trip that she is not texting or daydreaming while driving, and that none of her other friends in the car get drowsy or tired while driving.

Prusha said before leaving for a week, it is important to tell neighbors about the week-long trip, to lock all doors and make sure that the locks work. By doing this, Prusha said it decreases the likelihood of getting robbed during vacation.

Flying

Ryan Hollingsworth, communication and social media manager for the Akron Canton Airport, said when flying over spring break, it’s important to arrive 90 minutes before your flight.

“It’s a very busy time of year,” Hollingsworth said. “A lot of people are traveling.”

Hollingsworth said students should remember that no liquid exceeding 3.4 ounces may be allowed in a carry-on bag, and liquid items need to be put in clear plastic bags.

“Carry-ons are free and most airlines except Southwest charge for luggage,” Hollingsworth said. “So, if you can afford to only use a carry-on, it might be worth it financially.”

Alexandra Sines, sophomore pre-speech path audiology major, said she is flying to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic over spring break with her boyfriend’s family. Sines said she already weighed her bag to make sure it will not go over her airport’s regulation of 50 pounds.

“It’s really hard not to go over 50 pounds and get charged the ridiculous fee for doing so,” Sines said. “I had to weigh my bag several times.”

Hollingsworth said students should also research several airlines and their regulations before making a final decision on which one to take. On top of learning about different flight options, Hollingsworth said students should familiarize themselves with the country they plan on traveling to.

“When traveling to a different country, it is important to educate yourself about the country you’re traveling,” Hollingsworth said. “Travel light, if you can. It’s a good idea to book transportation from your airport to your hotel in advance so you don’t have to worry about it.”

And once students have figured out their travel plans and expenses, Hollingsworth said students should remember to relax and enjoy themselves while vacationing.

“Traveling should be fun,” Hollingsworth said, “so make it fun.”

Contact Arielle Campanalie at [email protected].