‘Legends of the Hidden Rec Center’ brings fun and games for students

Rachael Le Goubin

Zach Anderson leaped for the lead in the Tubular Challenge part of the Legends of the Hidden Rec competition on Friday February 1. Photo by Rachael Le Goubin.

Matt Orszag

The Kent State Student Recreation and Wellness Center welcomed students eager for a chance to compete in the “Legends of the Hidden Rec Center” Friday.

Students began lining up as early as 7:45 p.m. for the event that did not begin until 9 p.m.

The event was based off of the popular ‘90s TV show, “Legends of the Hidden Temple,” in which teens competed a series of physical and mental challenges in teams for prizes. Each student took his or her place as a Blue Barracuda, Silver Snake, Purple Parrot, Orange Iguana, Red Jaguar or Green Monkey — teams also used in the show — as they packed the entrance waiting for the event to start.

“I’m going to try to win the grand prize, but came for the free shirt,” said Austin Kwisnek, junior sociology major.

The competition consisted of four challenges before the winning contestants moved on to the Steps of Knowledge and Olmec’s Temple.

The “Hoop There It Is” challenge involved hoola hoops suspended in the air. Contestants tried to throw as many balls as they could through them. In the natatorium, students swam across the pool on an inflatable tube for the “Totally tubular challenge.” The “Buckethead” challenge required one person to throw ping-pong balls into a bucket on his or her partner’s head. “Aim for all that” was an archery challenge.

Students who chose not to compete jammed to “Ice Ice Baby” and “Mambo No. 5” in the ’90s lounge as they enjoyed food and classic Nintendo 64 games such as “GoldenEye 007” and “Mario Party.”

Megan Morehouse, sophomore sports administration major, said the event was fun.

“I was just working out and saw all of these people lining up and wanted to see what it was about,” Morehouse said. “Archery was a lot of fun. You don’t really have the opportunity to do that anywhere else.”

The Orange Iguanas and Blue Barracudas teams made it to the Steps of Knowledge to compete against each other for iPod nanos and the opportunity to race through Olmec’s Temple for the grand prize.

Competitors who were eliminated gathered around to see who knew all about the ’90s. One Silver Snake named the three Powerpuff Girls for a chance to race in Olmec’s temple, and a Green Monkey recalled that there were five ‘N Sync members to win an iPod nano.

The six finalists then suited up in helmets, elbow pads and gloves to compete for the grand prize, an iPad mini.

Mike Frindt, freshman business management major, jumped, climbed and battled his way through the temple to place first at a time of 48.2 seconds.

“I really didn’t think I would win it,” Frindt said. “I just saw what the person did before me and tried to make it faster.”

Frindt said he would give the iPod nano to his brother, but can’t wait to start using his new iPad mini.

Abby Millsaps, marketing coordinator for the Department of Recreational Services, said she loved the enthusiasm students brought to the event.

“A lot of students already asked to do it again,” Millsaps said. “We want to mix it up and do different events and maybe bring this back. I’m sure you’ll see our shirts [from the event] around campus a lot this semester.”

Contact Matt Orszag at [email protected].