Our View: The credit-hour fee is an insult to the university’s most ambitious students.

DKS Editors

Plenty of Kent State students had an episode of sticker shock before the beginning of this school year when the university decided that anyone who takes more than 17 credit hours should pay an additional $440.

What students might not have noticed is that the fee gets worse next year, when its credit-hour limit goes from 17 to 16.

The fee is a way to circumvent the state limit on tuition increases. But just because it’s legal, doesn’t mean that it’s the right thing to do.

Kent State needs to stop finding every avenue possible through to gouge us. Specifically targeting the most ambitious, dedicated students is truly shameful.

Yeah, other Ohio universities charge extra for credit hour overloads. We don’t care. Just because they do it, doesn’t mean that it’s the right thing to do.

These fees remind us of banks that add every new fee imaginable — fees for cashing checks, for not having a high enough balance or for not making enough transactions. There’s a reason these fees cause widespread criticism — they’re a slap in the face to loyal customers.

It’s time to find another way to close the university’s deficits. If it means scaling back construction projects, so be it. Just stop acting like a pickpocket.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.