KSU Police investigating fire at Koonce Hall

Students file back into the Rottunda of Tri-Towers after a small fire was detected on the eighth floor of Koonce Hall, causing the building to be evacuated around 2:45 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 8, 2013. Captain Moore of the Kent Fire Department said no injuries were reported, but the cause was still under investigation. Students were allowed back into the building after each floor was inspected and cleared about 45 minutes later. Photo by Jesse Denton.

Kent State University Police are investigating the intentional burning of a hand-sanitizing dispenser on Feb. 8 on the 8th floor of Koonce Hall.

A small fire was reported at 2:40 a.m. Friday, leading fire departments from surrounding areas to respond.

According to a campus safety alert, the fire was isolated to the area of the wall where the dispenser was mounted. No injuries were reported from this incident.

Residents were allowed to return to their rooms about an hour after the fire was reported.

The fire is still under investigation, and police are asking anyone with information to contact them at 330-672-3070. Those who wish to remain anonymous can also use Threatline at www.kent.edu/threatline.

Contact Celia Fernandez at [email protected].

Update: 4:12 a.m.

According to a police officer on the scene, someone allegedly lit one of the hand sanitizer dispensers on fire.

Update: 3:50 a.m.

As of 3:50 a.m., all residents are allowed to return to Koonce.

Update: 3:38 a.m.

Koonce Hall students, except 8th floor, have the ‘all clear’ to return to the building. Displaced students are gathered in the Tri Towers lobby area. Residence Hall Directors were on site to answer questions. No injuries have been reported.

Original

A small fire was reported on the 8th floor of Koonce Hall at 2:40 a.m. Friday, which has been extinguished.

Emily Vincent, director of university media relations, said there are no reports of injuries at this time.

As of 3:30 a.m., the fire department was in the process of examining the rest of the building.

Fire departments that responded include Kent, Hudson, Aurora, Streetsboro and Stow.

Check back for further updates.