A beer coat isn’t enough

Heather Kunkle

As temperatures drop below freezing, Kent State students find ways to brave the cold on their weekend outings.

Many college students look forward to going out on the weekends even if that means venturing out in the cold weather.

Tips for Winter Partying

Information from Scott Dotterer, Kent State Coordinator of Health Promotion

• Dress properly and stay dry
  • Keep hydrated
  • Plan ahead with travel arrangements and keep your car serviced.
  • What to Wear:

Info from the Centers for Disease Control

• a hat
  • a scarf or knit mask to cover face and mouth
  • sleeves that are snug at the wrist
  • mittens (warmer than gloves)
  • water-resistant coat and boots
  • several layers of loose-fitting clothing

Donnie Wiggins, sophomore biology major, said college students are going to want to party no matter the weather or circumstances.

“Some people don’t want to walk in the snow, but a lot of people will do anything to drink on the weekends after a rough school or work week as a reward,” Wiggins said. “I’d probably say I go out a little less just because I’m a freeze baby and don’t like the cold.”

Students have many different location options to choose from on the weekends. They have choices from fraternities, bars or even house parties. Most of the time students are walking to where they need to be, or otherwise have made arrangements with a ride.

Rachel Welch, sophomore exercise science major, began having parties at her apartment so that her and her roommates don’t have to leave.

“I don’t go out quite as much in the winter as I do in the summer and fall,” Welch said. “I don’t go to the fraternities in the winter, I go downtown where I know I will get inside quickly.”

Local businesses are also affected by the winter. Kayla Phillips, a server at Ray’s Place, said some of the weekends are busier than the others.

“It is a lot slower especially during the winter with students going home a lot or staying close to campus and going to house parties,” Phillips said. “We do have our slow days, but we are always able to pick back up.”

Aubree Schilder, sophomore communication major, said that the motivation to go out when it’s freezing isn’t the same as when she goes out when it’s warm.

“When it’s warm you don’t care if you have to walk to the party or maybe even home, but in the winter you have to be thinking about a taxi ahead of time,” Schilder said.

For Amanda Rohrlick, sophomore visual communication design major, looking good overrides warmth while going out.

“I dress the same in the warm and cold seasons,” Rohrlick said. “I know that I’m going to be freezing the entire time getting there, but then I know I’m about to sweat while dancing for a couple hours and I wouldn’t want to be holding extra clothing with me when I get hot.”

There can be many health risks involved with being out in the cold for an extended amount of time. Scott Dotterer, coordinator of student health promotion, says students who aren’t dressed properly are at risk for several health problems.

“When the weather is very cold, the possibility for frostbite as well as the risk for hypothermia, exists, especially if one is not properly dressed,” Dotterer said.

It’s common for a person to feel a lot warmer after consuming a few alcoholic beverages. During this period of time the body temperature is actually being lowered.

“Body surface heat is especially more likely to be lost when one is outside in the cold while drinking,” Dotterer said. “In short, keep the jacket on and consider water or warm beverages.”

Contact Heather Kunkle at [email protected].