USG meets for first time in 2013, discusses Ohio General Assembly

Matt Lofgren

The Undergraduate Student Government met for the first time of 2013 Wednesday with the intentions of preparing for the semester ahead.

With the introduction of the first resolution of the year, executive director Evan Gildenblatt proposed a reaffirmation to revise an Ohio General Assembly code to allow two student members from each of the four-year institutions in the state to represent their university at assembly meetings.

This would allow students to become full access members of the general assembly in respects to each person’s university and be elected to a two-year term. Currently, the resolution is in the early stages, but the USG is working with other Ohio universities to back the reaffirmation.

Other highlights of the meeting include:

• David Pagano, senator for the College of Technology, said he is working with his advisor and the dean of the school to raise the current budget for a new College of Applied Engineering, Sustainability and Technology building. The building currently has a budget of $15 million, but estimates for a more efficient building have the total necessary budget closer to $23 million.
  • College of Education, Health and Human Services has introduced a new major that is waiting to be voted on for approval. Pre-physical therapy would be introduced as soon as the needed signatures are received.
  • Undergraduate Studies has an advisory council meeting on Friday to discuss Kent State’s mobile application.
  • Deadline for applications to run for USG are due by Feb. 6 at 5 p.m. in the CSI office.

Matt Lofgren is the student politics reporter for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact Matt Lofgren at [email protected].