Kent State gives Van Campen to Division of Business and Finance

Helen Steward

Residence Services plans to give Van Campen Hall to the Division of Business and Finance next year as part of the university’s Foundations of Excellence Initiative.

The Foundations of Excellence Initiative is a project that involves upgrading different buildings on campus due to deterioration or renovations in certain major programs. Van Campen Hall will provide extra office space while other buildings are being worked on.

“Students living there will not be effected this semester, and full services will still be available to them,” said Jill Church, interim director of Residence Services.

This semester, Van Campen Hall houses 56 students, and about half of them are international students.

Church said these residents will receive priority housing for the 2013 fall semester because they cannot reserve their current rooms.

Van Campen residents were informed about the upcoming changes to the building at a meeting on Dec. 15.

Church said only one student expressed the hope to renew his current room for the upcoming year, but was pleased that he would be receiving the priority housing as an alternative.

Church said she is not worried about the lack of space for students, hoping the situation will “work itself out.”

Church said Kent State’s residence halls are currently at a 93 percent occupancy, which means there are 100 open beds.

Hayley Krill, sophomore fashion merchandising major and resident of Van Campen, said she likes the decision made to turn the building over to the Division of Business and Finance.

“Van Campen does not give adequate housing to students,” Krill said. “I don’t think it’s a good impression for our foreign students. I think it’s too far away from campus, and I think they could have a better living situation somewhere else.”

The building will be turned over to the Division of Business and Finance sometime in May.

Contact Helen Steward at [email protected].