Two student athletes among five indicted

Nick Shook

Two Kent State student athletes were indicted by a Portage County grand jury in mid-December.

Redshirt junior wrestler Kwan Bailey and junior sprinter Dontell Higgins were two of the five Kent State students indicted on charges of second-degree felony burglary, according to Portage County public records.

Director of Athletics Joel Nielsen said Wednesday that the two student athletes have been suspended indefinitely from all team activities.

Higgins competes in the 60-meter dash and 200-meter dash during the indoor season, and was also a member of the season’s fastest 4×400-meter relay squad, clocking a 3:15.32. As a member of the 2011 outdoor season’s 4×100-meter relay team, he won Mid-American Conference gold when the team clocked a 40.78 at the conference meet. Higgins also ran a season-best 6.98 in the 60-meter dash and a 22.50 in the 200-meter dash during the 2012 indoor season.

Bailey currently holds an 8-7 overall record in 2012-13, and placed sixth at the Buffalo Brawl Invitational with a 3-3 record, including one major decision. He appeared in his first varsity dual Nov. 9, 2011. against Missouri.

According to Kent city police reports, officers arrived at the scene of the burglary at 12:55 a.m. to see the five students dropping most of the stolen goods on the ground.

Kent Police Administrative Lt. James Prusha said the suspects allegedly took a video games system, a TV, a laptop computer and multiple DVDs, though police recovered most of the goods.

Trials are set to start in April.

Nick Shook is the sports editor for The Daily Kent Stater. Contact Nick Shook at [email protected].