USG supports city of Kent’s off-housing safety code

Evan Gildenblatt, the executive director for USG, speaks to fellow student government members in the Governance Chambers inside the Student Center on Nov. 28. Photo by Brian James Smith.

Drew Parker

Undergraduate Student Government met to discuss new election procedures and student housing rights Wednesday.

USG Executive Director Evan Gildenblatt then discussed promoting the city of Kent’s new off-campus housing safety code. The policy has been implemented to educate students on their rights as tenants in the community.

Upcoming USG events

• USG will host Study-a-thon Dec. 9, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom
  • World AIDS day will be held Saturday at the University Health Center. Free and confidential STD testing will be provided.
  • Mortar Board “Reading is Leading” Book Drive is Dec. 3 – 7

“A lot of students come back to look for housing after Christmas break, and one of our top priorities is to make sure students are in safe environments and being served by their landlords,” Gildenblatt said.

Gildenblatt said USG representatives are working to inform students about their housing rights by canvassing on campus and around several apartment complexes in the city.

Gildenblatt also announced a new bill for the 2013 elections, which will be online-only for the first time.

Contact Drew Parker at [email protected].