Women’s basketball 3-0 for the first time in 11 years after completely dismantling John Carroll

Junior Katie Shumate shoots against John Carrol University, one of many baskets made in the winning game of 101-40 on Wed. Nov. 18, 2021.

Kathryn Rajnicek Reporter

For the first time since 2000, Kent State’s women’s basketball team (3-0) scored in triple digits as they defeated Division III’s John Carroll University (2-0). The final score was 101-40.

“Real happy with our effort all the way down the bench,” coach Todd Starkey said. “It was great to get everybody playing time, and everybody scored that went in.”

The win marked Starkey’s 250th win as a head coach.

The contest counted as a game for Kent State, but for John Carroll, the game was scored as a scrimmage meaning it did not affect the team’s record.

“That John Carroll team obviously has a lot of balance and they’re going to win a lot of games in their league,” Starkey said. “Coming off of a championship this past year we have a lot of respect for what they were able to do as a program.”

The Flashes’ defense did not allow more than 11 points in a single quarter and only one Blue Streak scored in double figures.

“I thought we did a good job of staying focused throughout, and everybody that went in did a pretty good job of what they needed to do,” Starkey said. 

KSU scored 52 of its 101 points off of 28 John Carroll turnovers compared to John Carroll’s six points on 10 Kent State turnovers. Offensively, the Flashes dished out 23 assists compared to the Blue Streaks 10. 

“We had great ball movement,” Starkey said. “I think 23 assists and 10 turnovers was really good for us as well. We really shared the ball and shot the ball well too.”

Defensively, KSU outrebounded John Carroll 48 to 31 and the Flashes only allowed two second chance points.

Leading the way on the offensive end for the Flashes was sophomore guard Casey Santoro with 19 points and six assists. 

“I feel like it’s just a confidence thing and experience,” Santoro said. “Definitely not having a summer last year, my freshman year, because of COVID kind of stunk. But this summer, I got to be here with everybody and be connected with everybody. I think that definitely helped me for this year.” 

Three other Kent State players scored in double figures: senior forward Lindsey Thall scored 15 points, freshman forward Bridget Dunn scored 11 and senior guard Hannah Young scored 10 and grabbed eight rebounds. 

Overall, the Flashes shot 47.6 percent from the field and 48.4 percent from the three-point line.

The Blue Streaks shot 31.3 percent overall and 36.4 percent from behind the three-point line. 

The game was “Kids Day” at the M.A.C. Center, children from area elementary schools were in attendance. This included Young’s PE classes that she is student teaching this semester.

“Since I’ve been there, the past three weeks they’re like ‘I can’t wait for this game!,’” Young said. “They were so excited and being able to see them out there screaming and having so much fun, it was just great.”

The Flashes have started the season 3-0 for the first time since 2010. 

Up next, Kent State will travel to Estero, Florida to compete in the Gulf Coast Showcase Tournament. The Flashes will face the UCLA Bruins (1-0) at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 26.

“I think that we really need to take this week to really switch our mindset to we’re playing the top 15 team in the country,” Young said. “They’re going to be super big and super athletic and they’re really good. We need to be aware of scout and be almost perfect. We need to be on our A-game, connecting with each other and just really focused all the way up to the game and throughout the game.”

Kathryn Rajnicek is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].