International Education Week brings together international, domestic students

Wezley Garlick

Schedule

Tuesday: As part of the Gerald H. Read Distinguished Lecture Series, Mao Xiaolan and Jerry Anyan will present their scholarly research findings on hospitality and higher education administration, respectively, at 4:30 p.m. in White Hall.

The IEW World Cup quarterfinals are also on Tuesday. Mimicking the FIFA World Cup, the Office of Global Education will place students on a soccer team that will represent a country, and the teams will compete for the World Cup soccer trophy. The games are every hour from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

Wednesday: The day’s main event is the IEW World Cup semifinals, at 5 and 6 p.m. at the Rec.

Thursday: The International Cook-off. Teams will prepare food from different countries and compete for prizes in the Ballroom of the Kent Student Center.

Friday: The IEW World Cup championship round is at 8 p.m. at the Rec.

Saturday: The Office of Global Education and Kent Interhall Council are sponsoring a trip to watch the Cleveland Cavaliers take on the Dallas Mavericks at the Quicken Loans Center. For $20, students get transportation to and from the game, a pre-game tour of the facilities and $5 off food and drink at the stadium

The Office of Global Education’s International Education Week begins Nov. 13 and continues until Nov. 17 with events informing Kent State students on a multitude of cultures.

International Education Week celebrates culture on campus through art exhibits, informational panels and different cultural get-togethers with food, music and dancing.

International Education Week is a national effort by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education to advocate for programs like study abroad that promote international education and honor diversity.

“We’re hoping that people just get together and have fun and learn a little about different people,” said Michael Taylor, the communication and marketing specialist in the Office of Global Education.

One of the most popular events during International Education Week, which is approaching its 10th consecutive year, is the International Cook-off. The cook-off is Nov. 16 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom. 

Six teams represent different cultures and compete to cook the best dish before a panel of three judges. First, second and third place prizes will be awarded, as well as a People’s Choice Award, chosen by attendees who have the opportunity to sample the dishes. 

This month’s Cultural Cafe is set to occur during International Education Week as well, and it will feature Benin and Azerbaijan.

Students will present on the two countries to teach attendees more about their cultures, and there will be traditional cuisine.

The Cultural Cafe is Nov. 15 from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the ballroom’s balcony on the third floor.

Taylor said the week-long event is significantly larger than when it began.

“This is the third year I’ve been involved with it, and it just keeps growing every year,” he said. “The more that we can get other people to interact with other cultures, with other people, that’s really what we’re hoping for.”

International Education Week features more than 20 events to educate and celebrate diversity among different cultures. 

“We all have the same hopes and dreams, and it’s a good time when you’re a student to open your mind to other cultures,” Taylor said.

To find a full schedule of events, visit the Office of Global Education’s website.

Contact Wezley Garlick at [email protected].