Students discusses Palestinian conflict at movie night

Nidal Atallah and Ghassan Rafeedie host the first meeting of Students for Justice in Palestine on Monday November 5 in the KIVA. Photo by Rachael Le Goubin.

Wezley Garlick

Students for Justice in Palestine hosted a movie and discussion event Monday night focusing on the Israeli conflict. The film, titled “Slingshot Hip Hop,” focuses on the rap music in Palestine from the perspective of Palestinian musicians, including groups DAM, PR and We7 and rapper Mahmoud Shalaby.

Students for Justice in Palestine works here at Kent State to tell the story of Palestinians to the student body, said Ghassan Rafeedie, vice president of SJP.

“We tried to pick a film that students could relate to,” Rafeedie said. “And also one that separated the story from the bureaucrats. We wanted to tell the story from a viewpoint to someone who is more similar to a student.”

During a discussion after the film, Rafeedie, whose father emigrated from Palestine in 1971, and SJP president Nidal Atallah answered questions from the crowd.

“This started as a popular, peaceful uprising against oppression,” Atallah said while answering a question. “The world has been misguided.”

Sophomore exploratory major Steve Bailey attended the event because he didn’t know much about the Palestinian issues.

“I didn’t know much about the conflict, from besides what the American media plays of it,” Bailey said. “But I learned a whole lot about it and enjoyed the Palestinian rap.”

Contact Wezley Garlick at [email protected].