Quaker Steak and Lube opens on campus

NANCY URCHAK

Brittny Counts, graphic designer for Dining Services, and Chelsea McClelland, marketing associate for dining Services, greet guests at the Quaker Steak & Lube VIP event in the Student Center on Oct. 16. The event is the kick-off to the actual opening on Oct. 17. Photo by Nancy Urchak.

Seventeen of the famous 24 Quaker Steak and Lube wing sauces are now available in the Rathskeller, the restaurant’s latest location.

The grand opening is at 11 a.m., although the restaurant has held special limited-entry training events for free sneak previews of its Kent menu.

While Quaker Steak and Lube will have a smaller menu in the Rathskeller than its other locations, Dining Services director Rich Roldan said this will help ensure quick and convenient service.

“Since we’re on campus, our goal is to get people through quickly so they can attend classes, work and other activities,” Roldan said. “People will walk up to the counter to place their orders, then the order will be brought out to them.”

The restaurant replaced Damon’s Grill after the company closed several of its Ohio locations. Kent State Dining Services worked with student focus groups to decide which restaurant to include in the Student Center lower level. Roldan said Quaker Steak and Lube was the most popular option, receiving more votes than Chili’s and World of Wings.

And they’re hiring Kent State students, too.

“There are a decent amount of positions still open,” said Aaron Karns, one of the restaurants three Kent State managers. “Students who want a job on campus still have time to apply.”

Quaker Steak and Lube was in high demand for this area, said Frank McGee, another Kent State manager, but its busiest location, now the second-closest to Kent, is approximately 35 minutes away.

“I’m super pumped for Quaker Steak and Lube because I love their food,” said Megan Pease, sophomore fashion merchandising major. “The closest one to me is in Canton, and I don’t like driving that far.”

Luke O’Neal, a sophomore biology major, said he plans on going to Quaker Steak and Lube to relax and eat with friends.

“A lot of students will enjoy Kent’s Quaker Steak and Lube,” O’Neal said. “Their wings are my favorite. The atomic ones are really good.”

In addition to serving lunch and dinner, Kent State’s Quaker Steak and Lube will sell t-shirts and bottles of wing sauces to take home.

Quaker Steak and Lube is open 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturdays. The restaurant is closed Sundays but may open for special events such as the Super Bowl.

Contact Abby Prulhiere at [email protected].

Quaker Steak and Lube is the third restaurant in nearly 10 years to open in the Rathskeller. But, Foods Service Worker, George Lemons, has worked in the Rathskeller when it was, Pete’s Arena, Damon’s and now Quaker Stake and Lube and he has no intention on leaving. He is excited to start working for Quaker Steak and Lube.

Director of Dining Services, Rich Roland said, “It was the right time for us to move and get a brand like Quaker Steak.” TV2 Reporter Gabriel Kramer attended the Quaker Steak and Lube VIP event, Tuesday. Lemmon and Roland discuss their excitement for the new restaurant to open up.

tv2 Video

var so = new SWFObject(‘http://www.staterinteractive.com/player.swf’,’mpl’,’665′,’450′,’9′);

so.addParam(‘allowscriptaccess’,’always’);

so.addParam(‘allowfullscreen’,’true’);

so.addParam(‘flashvars’,’&file=101612_Quakersteak_PKG.flv&image=http://www.staterinteractive.com/photos/fall12/0131tv2.jpg&frontcolor=6666FF&lightcolor=EEEEEE&skin=http://www.staterinteractive.com/snel.swf&streamer=rtmp://flashmedia.kent.edu/fms-jmc/tv2′);

so.write(‘101612_Quakersteak_PKG’);

Contact Gabriel Kramer at [email protected].