Deadline Friday to enter Homecoming parade

Trenton Chavez

Homecoming 2012

Event Schedule

Bowman Cup 5k Race

(Registration required)

Time: 8 a.m.

Location: Student Recreation

and Wellness Center

Alumni Breakfast and

Parade Viewing

Time: 9-11:30 a.m.

Location: Williamson Alumni

Center, Kent State

Homecoming Parade

Time: 10-11:30 a.m.

Location: Beginning at Midway Drive,

the parade will head down East Main

St. and end at Franklin Ave.

Kiss on the K

Time: Noon

Location: On the “K” in Risman Plaza

Christopher Carter,

Mentalist Show

Time: 12:30 p.m.

Location: Kent Student

Center Ballroom

Homecoming Football

Game: Kent State Flashes

vs. Western Michigan

Broncos

Time: 3:30 p.m.

Location: Dix Stadium

Local organizations and businesses looking to participate in the Homecoming parade must register by Friday.

This year’s Homecoming theme will challenge students, faculty, alumni and the community to make the annual Homecoming parade “the event of the century.”

“Battle of the Decades,” the theme of this year’s Homecoming events, allows flexibility for parade entries, according to Jacquelyn Willis, Homecoming parade co-chair.

“Everyone has their favorite decade, and it’ll be great to see what different entries we get,” junior entrepreneurship major Willis said. “It’s one theme that everyone will want to participate in and have great ideas for because it’s so open.”

Local businesses, campus organizations and residence halls will battle for the “Entry of the Year” title at the Homecoming parade at 10 a.m. Oct. 20, Willis said.

The Homecoming committee brainstormed and voted on the winning theme, said Pete Mahoney, special coordinator for Kent State.

“I feel that there are many awesome things that can be done with that theme, creatively speaking,” said Ira Chapman, senior justice studies major.

Some students aren’t as convinced that this year’s theme is anything new.

“I feel like too many things in Greek life and Kent State are ‘decade’ related,” said Eli Weikart, senior early childhood education major. “We just had ‘Flashback to the Future’ like two years ago.”

Parade participants will decorate their floats to symbolize one of the 10 decades Kent State has been in existence, according to Kent State’s Center for Student Involvement.

Willis said anyone interested in registering for the Homecoming parade should contact CSI, visit www.ksualumni.org or call the Alumni Association at 330-672-5368.

Contact Trenton Chavez at [email protected].