University Health Services offering flu shots

MCT

Abby Prulhiere

University Health Services will offer walk-in flu shots to students, faculty and staff on three separate occasions between October and November.

University Health Services Coordinator Scott Dotterer said he recommends students get the vaccine early to stay healthy this flu season.

“It’s highly suggested that students take advantage of the flu vaccine clinics that are held on campus,” Dotterer said. “There will be more staff available at these clinics so the wait time will be reduced.”

Dotterer said the vaccine costs $20, which can be paid in cash, by check or billed to the student bursar account. The Aetna Student Health insurance is the only plan the DeWeese Health Center accepts for the flu vaccines.

“It’s essential for people to recognize that getting vaccinated can not only help protect them, but it can reduce the chance that they will spread it to other people,” Dotterer said.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, flu season peaks between January and February, but the vaccine takes two weeks to fully protect the body from the virus.

“Having the flu can be serious and this disease can potentially result in some people being hospitalized from flu-related complications,” Dotterer said. “With students being so busy, it’s important that they stay healthy and avoid missing class, work and other campus activities due to illness.”

Susan Jordan, a registered pharmacist at CVS in Kent, said the vaccines protect people from two new flu strains, as well as the H1N1 strain, which has given people the most problems in past years. She said she expects this flu season to be about the same as last year’s.

Students who wish to receive the flu vaccine on campus can attend one of three clinics, Dotterer said. Students do not need to register ahead of time for the clinics.

If students cannot attend any of the clinics, Dotterer said they can schedule their own appointment with the Health Center online at www.kent.edu/uhs or by calling (330) 672-2322.

The Kent CVS is located at 514 S. Water St. Flu shots are offered every day during pharmacy hours, according to the CVS website. To schedule an appointment with CVS call (330) 678-4009.

Contact Abby Prulhiere at [email protected].