MODISTA brings awareness of minority fashion, supermodel to campus

Modista members and senior fashion merchandising students Jenae Green and Lexi Farley discuss models and designers in the Student Center on Sept. 12 for their upcoming fashion show in November. Green is the president of Modista and Fairley handles the marketing. Photo by Adrianne Bastas.

Madeleine Winer

Tuesday MODISTA, an alternative fashion group for minority students, will host Stacey McKenzie, former supermodel and judge on “Canada’s Next Top Model.”

Jenae Green, president of the group, said four years ago, fashion students Kori Fields and Shanetta Dorsey wanted to create a group that would unify all minority students in the name of fashion. They created MODISTA: Minority Fashion Group, Green said, to “inspire, uplift and infuse color into fashion.”

“We want to be able to do different types of things that people weren’t getting out of organizations that were already here,” Green said. “We want MODISTA to be a creative outlet and comfortable group for people to be in.”

Green said the group serves as an alternative fashion organization that strives to give back to the fashion community through various fundraising and philanthropic efforts, like Relay for Life. The group also plans different fashion events throughout the year, she said, such as a thrifting crawl, a fashion show and different speakers from the minority fashion community.

MODISTA, which means “dressmaker” in Spanish, not only serves as a secure group for minority fashion students but also aims to educate other students about minority fashion and designers, Green said.

Kelsey Stevens, a senior fashion merchandising major, said although she is not classified as a minority student, she has been in the group since her sophomore year and served as its treasurer last year.

“MODISTA is a lot smaller and more personal group,” Stevens said. “I’ve met so many great people through it. I think it’s great to have a club that’s focused on one culture because it gives people an awareness for what is out there.”

Schae Coakley, sophomore fashion merchandising major, said being a member of a group allows her to interact with people in her major and gain experience in fashion.

“I like that they incorporate the fashion and cultural element,” Coakley said. “They’re open to everyone and every idea. It’s a good thing for fashion students at Kent. They have fashion shows and put on nice events for people to express their creativity and get a lot of experience they need.”

Vincent Quevedo, MODISTA’s new faculty adviser this year, said he has been trying to get involved with the group for the past two years because he likes the diversity it attracts.

“I think that the more diverse your group is, the better ideas, the better the community becomes,” said Quevedo, associate professor of fashion design and merchandising. “Fashion is an international language and a strong way we communicate with each other.”

The group will also have a fashion show Nov. 10 titled “The Definition of Art” in which group members can act as designers, make-up artists and models to show off their work and what they envision as art, said Faun Seavers, vice president of MODISTA.

Stacey McKenzie will be speaking at the Walk This Way Workshop at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Room 204 of the student center.

Contact Madeleine Winer at [email protected].