Native American Student Association regroups after hiatus

Marielle Forrest

Sophomore Michael Weisel poses with senior Victoria Humphreys after getting his face painted at the LNC/SALSA Festival on September 14. Weisel and Humphreys are members of the Native American Student Association, which recently reformed at Kent State.. Photo by MARIELLE FORREST.

Madeleine Winer

When Kent State students Victoria Humphreys and Christopher Lyons met at a powwow in Canton this summer, they discovered they shared a common goal of restarting the Native American Student Association on Kent State’s campus.

“We talked about forming [the organization], exchanged information and it happened within two weeks at the beginning of the semester,” said Humphreys, who was born on a Hopi reservation in Arizona.

The Native American Student Association was formed originally on campus in the late 1990s and phased out around 2005 due to lack of student involvement, said Shana Lee, director of the Student Multicultural Center.

“I don’t think that that information was passed down about the importance of it,” Lee said. “People didn’t know that it even existed. We can’t even find proof that it was here other than the fact that people know it was here.”

Contact Madeleine Winer at [email protected].