Women’s Golf Places Eighth in Season Opener

Photo Courtesy of the Kent State Athletic Department.

Rich Scheuermann

Kent State women’s golf began its season Saturday with the Mary Fossum Invitational at Michigan State’s campus in East Lansing, Mich.

The team concluded the tournament with an eighth-place finish out of 17 teams. Unfortunately, the Flashes were never quite able to push ahead, and finished with a 54-hole total of 928.

Some bright spots among the Kent State team were freshman Tess Fraser, who finished tied for 25th with a 229 total in her first tournament with the Flashes. Senior Jackie Yanch finished tied for 29th while competing as an individual – meaning her score was not counted with the team’s cumulative score.

Yanch struggled in the final round Sunday, shooting an 81, but still managed to capture a top-30 finish.

Sophomore standout Jennifer Ha shot a one over 73 in the Saturday’s second round and finished the tournament placing in a tie for 35th.

Also shooting well for the Flashes in the second round was sophomore Natalie Goodson who hit a three over 75 on Saturday, and ultimately finished in 39th.

Rounding out the rest of the team’s score were freshman Josée Doyon and junior Erin Hawe, who finished tied for 54th and 60th respectively.

The women’s team was able to finish ahead of each of the four other Mid-American Conference teams competing at the invitational.

An all-around poor round of shooting in Sunday’s final round ultimately cost the Flashes. The team’s cumulative score in round three was 315 – compared to the 297 it shot in round two.

Women’s Golf statistics

Saturday and Sunday, Mary Fossum Invitational, East Lansing, Mich.

Team – 8th/17

Tess Fraser – T25, 229

Jennifer Ha – T35, 233

Natalie Goodson – T39, 235

Josée Doyon – T54, 238

Another major storyline of the Flashes’ tournament was the emergence of freshman Tess Fraser as a possible team leader this season. Fraser was a highly-touted recruit out of Marysville, Ohio, whom was also selected to the First-Team All-Ohio team as a high school senior.

Kent State will be back in action on Oct. 1-2 at the Northwestern Windy City Classic at Glen View Club in Chicago.

Contact Rich Scheuermann at [email protected].