Several administrators change or leave jobs

Several high-profile changes this summer could have students in some colleges and programs interacting with different leaders.

Timothy Moerland has left his job as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and now works in the provost’s office on special projects.

“It’s been a pleasure and privilege to serve as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences,” Moerland said in a press release, “and I look forward to continuing to serve KSU in this new capacity.”

Timothy Chandler, who used to be a senior associate provost, was appointed to be the Arts and Sciences dean on a temporary basis.

“Having worked closely with Tim (Chandler) since my arrival, I know that he will bring a keen intellect, sharp wit, and a gracious and careful manner to the job,” Provost Todd Diacon said in a press release.

Chandler is serving as the dean for the 2012-2013 academic year while Kent State looks for a permanent replacement.

In another change, Donald Williams has left his position as Honors College dean. Williams is taking a year of sabbatical leave in Luxembourg, and when he returns to the university he only will teach in the economics department.

Geology professor Donald Palmer, an award-winning teacher who has worked at Kent State for nearly 40 years, is Williams’ replacement for the 2012-2013 academic year.

“Don Palmer’s service will bring stability, wisdom and experience to the college, while allowing us to conduct a national search for the next dean,” Diacon said in a press release. “My deepest thanks go to Don Williams for a job well done in the Honors College, and I wish him the best on his upcoming sabbatical in Europe.”

Additionally, residence services director Betsy Joseph is leaving her position. No other details were available about her departure.

Betsy Joseph, director of resident services, is stepping down from her position after serving the university for eight years.

Joseph will be the new director of auxiliary services at Governor’s State University in University Park, Ill. Jill Church, the associate director of residential communities, will fill in for Joseph as the interim director of resident services until the spring semester.

“I feel really good about Jill being in the role,” Joseph said. “She’s done amazing job as associate director and has a good understanding of the history of the department.” Joseph said Greg Jarvie, vice president of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs, will appoint a search committee to conduct a nationwide search for her position. Joseph plans to leave Sept. 14 and start her new position Oct. 1.

Church said she will continue to serve students in line with the university’s goals.

“We’re going to continue to move forward in the direction Betsy has led us in,” Church said. “We have a wonderful staff, and I’m looking forward to filling that role. I know that the foundation is laid out to continue the work that we do.

Kent State media relations officials were not available by press time to comment for this story.

Contact Carrie Blazina at [email protected].

Contact Madeline Winer at [email protected].