Main Street Kent to hold sidewalk sales

Nana Battah

Main Street Kent will hold its first annual Sidewalk Sale on July 28. From 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., downtown retailers will have special promotions for up to, if not greater than, 50 percent off.

The Fashion School Store — which will be participating in the Sidewalk Sale — is a retail variety shop featuring the work of Kent State School of Fashion Design and Merchandising students.

The store offers students a chance to apply classroom education in the real world, showcasing unique student pieces and a range of items which feature the Fashion School logo. The Fashion School Store is located in downtown Kent in the recently revitalized retail area known as Acorn Alley II.

The store’s main focus is about merchandising students and putting their classroom work skills into action. All aspects of the store are managed by students. The students will be responsible for buying and merchandising the store as well as the store’s general operation. The goal is that the students will learn how to run a business and make it profitable.

“I would imagine that this would be a great opportunity for the merchandising students to get experience merchandising products in a multi-store environment,” Kent State Fashion School alumna Molly Ross said. “I’d also expect the merchandising students to use their skills in fashion marketing to promote the product and the store.”

Other retail establishments participating in the Sidewalk Sale are City Bank Antiques, Popped!, Dr. GreenBee, Empire and Wild Earth Outfitters.

Contact Nana Battah at

[email protected].